Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wine review 1


I opened one of my wines that I bought in Canada for my first wine critique.

It is a 2007 Pinot Noir from Inniskillin. It was one of the wineries that we passed by in Niagara-on-the-Lake on the way to the Whirlpool Jetboat tour(which was so awesome).

I am a self proclaimed wine ignoramus. I know pretty much nothing except that there is red, white, sparkling and other types of wine out there. I have had some wine at some weddings and some was good and some was not. I figured I would try to find some good stuff but could never remember what I have tried so I thought I would write about them here.

The first thing I noted about the Inniskillin was that it had a screw off top. Maybe it's just me but that screams cheap, bad wine. Maybe not, but that's what it seems like. Sure I only paid like $10-15 Canadian for it, but I didn't notice the non-corkness at the store. I cracked it open and poured it into my wine glass (our wedding glass-the only wine glasses that we own). I tried acting all professional and swirled it and sniffed it. It has a nice bouquet (like I'd know a good bouquet, it didn't smell like crap, how's that). I took a taste and it set my tongue all fizzy and weird-like. Mel said maybe I should let it breathe more, I forgot all about that.

It was pretty good, after it aired for a little while it was smooth and has a pleasant grape/woody taste with a nice aftertaste that isn't bitter and make you want to chase it with gum to get the taste out of your mouth.

I guess I would give it a 7 out of 10 due to the fact that I have nothing to compare it with but would not hesitate to buy another bottle of either Pinot Noir or something from Inniskillin.

No comments: