Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October swim


I had planned on doing this as early in the month as possible. No such luck. October 11th is not too bad I guess. So I thought. It was sunny, with a mild breeze. Just jump in, swim out to the float and come back. Really it had been such a hot summer, I am sure the water was still pretty warm. After all I have seen the mist drifting up from the lake on the cooler mornings so I knew that the lake was warmer than the air. First it was just me, then Jaren said he wanted to go also, then his friend Nick. Strider and Dean decided to put on their suits as well.

Jumping in was breathtaking, it was hard not to climb back out and say thats it, good enough. I forced myself to swim to the float, short shallow breaths. The ladder on the float was slipper from non-use and the top was covered with duck poop. Jaren and Nick were right behind me and I helped them up on the float. Reese was in the kayak paddling back and forth in front of us. I actually thought of getting in the kayak and riding back in with him. I knew I couldn't do that. Now the hardest part was jumping back into the water. It was cold up on the float but memories of the water was not good. Nick and Jar went first and I waited until they were most of the way in before diving into the water. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I guess I had got used to it, it was still cold but I casually made my way out of the water and high fived Dean and Strider as they splashed around in the shallow end.

No comments: