Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tartan Day


The girls at work have been counting down to Tartan day for over 3 weeks. They actually have a calendar up so they can cross off the days until it got here. They just can't wait to see me in my kilt. For those who don't know what it is, Tartan day is a day to celebrate being Scottish. It commemorates something from back in the 1300's and the U.S. made it special back in 1990 by making every April 6th Tartan Day. Your tartan is your plaid or your Scottish colors.

Now since the count-down calendar has been up several people have asked about it and said that they would come in for a visit to see me also. Therefore the anticipation keeps building, and the promise of many cameras always makes it even more interesting.

I have to work 13 hour days, and wearing a kilt is not very comfortable. All that wool and the long wool socks get very itchy. Plus there are no pockets so my normal habits will be off. I refuse to wear my lab coat with the kilt on as it takes away too much by covering everything up, so I don't even have those pockets to use.

All and all the day went very well. Most of my regular customers came in and no one was freaked out by it. (I have had some people that had no clue as to what it was and said it was not right for a guy to wear a skirt at work) My supervisor was in to check it out and she liked it, as well as several of my technicians' husbands. Unfortunately one of my technicians partners is actually from Scotland but she couldn't come in today because they only have one car. My partner came in and took a picture and she said she was going to send it in for our companies monthly newsletter. That would be funny to finally get in to that in my kilt, maybe my colleagues from Rhode Island would remember me.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Dude, we should get Tartan Day off from work.

rob calder said...

Let me get this straight. You wear skirts... and beat up girls...???

Mike said...

You should make a post that says how excited you are for a NYC roadtrip, and that you can make it for the weekend of the 15th.

Mike said...

Everyday is Tartan Day on Bandit's blog.