Friday, January 11, 2008

First lesson

I had my first lesson with David today. It was a little nervewracking at first. It was rainy and I wasn't sure where to go. There were 3 doors to the main house and one to a large barn. There was a light on in the barn and a couple cars in the driveway. David answered the door and everything was good from there on out.
He checked over the guitar and adjusted a few things on it then we got to work. I showed him some chords that I knew and he fixed the way I held the guitar. He asked what songs that I wanted to play and I told him Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver. He quickly got a songbook and wrote down the chord sequence for me to have. I started to play and he noted that since I take time to switch chords that I should change sooner. (I.E. instead of G,G,G,G,C,C,C,C just do 2 chords per 4 beat measure until I can change quicker.) He also wants me to chose 2 chords to switch back and forth between. Try to get to switch 16 times without problems and this will help me get better for those chords anyway. Another thing to practice is hold down a chord, play the top string then quickly play the bottom 3 strings then play the 4th string, hold, then the bottom 3 again. Alternating back and forth with the first and third bass string.
I also need to come up with more songs that I want to play for practice.

No comments: