Saturday, September 5, 2009

Keep the home fires burning











Yesterday I decided to have a cookout on the fire, complete with ice cream for desert. I was going to make it easy and just have ham and pineapple in foil, but the ham was a thin slice and it seemed a little to much like cheating. Instead I decided to go with the corn bread in pie irons as appetizers, and sweat and sour pork chops as the main course. The corn bread in the pie irons actually came out better than I expected. I thought it would be burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Next Dean and I had fun layering all the ingredients that Mel had so graciously prepped for us. We rolled everything up in the foil and tossed in on the hot coals. It cooked a little bit too long but was mostly edible. The ice cream was a hit. With everyone (except Stri) mixing up their own batch of ice cream, we all had cold hands from shaking up the bags of ice and then quickly got ice cream headaches from eating it to fast.
this was number 41 on my 101 in 1001.

No comments: