Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I missed it by that much

Earlier this month I had bought myself a Mission bow by Matthews. Its a real nice compound bow with all the gadgets, and fun to listen to the pop as the arrows hit the target. I try to get out to practice on my days off and have been successful to shoot for a half hour or so most days.

I missed the target for the first time today. It just zoomed off into the woods behind our shed. My left elbow buckled just as I was pulling the trigger on my release and the arrow disappeared. With my bow set up the arrow probably travels between 250-275 feet per second, so by the time I recovered from my elbow twicth, the arrow had silently vanished into the trees. Mel and I searched for the neon green and orange feathers for about 20-30 minutes with no luck.

Just writing about shooting makes me want to go out and practice some more. Its way more fun than even I expected.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.
I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, who has sight so keen and strong
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow