Friday, January 19, 2007

mood music

I love music, all kinds of music. I use music to influence my mood, attitude, and surroundings. Nothing profound here, I know most everyone does it. I listen to punk, hardcore, alternative, country, classic rock, showtunes, comedy, or whatever turns me on at the time.

The lyrics and singer are what control how much I like or dislike the song. If it is profound, I will like it no matter the genre. The singer has to be able to express his feelings and emotions and to convey the lyrics on a level that is true. Someone can cover a great song and absolutely kill it because they can't put the feelings into the vocals. Whether the song is antigovernment, love, death, friendship, or lack there of; whether the music is grinding old school hardcore, melodic and dreamy, or good ol' country; if it is able to move me, I'll listen to it.

Sometimes you need to get the engery moving, drop in a hardcore disc, get the bass up, guitars blasting, vocallist screaming, and you have no option but to start crusing and getting done what needs to get done. Sometimes you just need to pick up the attitude or have some fun, pop in some country or folk (I love John Denver-brings back my childhood) it just lifts your spirits and makes you sing along.

Right now I am on a big Pink Floyd kick, somehow even the instramentals convey so much emotion. Floyd can make you angry, want to cry, sing-a-long, and laugh all on the same record.

I once told an older woman friend who was whining about some heavier hardcore music that I had on that music isn't supposed to make you feel good all the time. Sometimes you need to be angry, to hate, to just want to yell and want to hit something. I really feel that you can't try to run through life "even keel", you have to let your emotions ride the rollercoaster. By doing it in a controlled way, by choice, through music, you gain the upper hand and hopefully you can control yourself when you need to in other settings.

No comments: